Friday, April 23, 2010

Amazing Grace

By Julia Matias, Mandela House

A few months ago a grown man, very much imbued, bawled his eyes out as he told me his life story. He was crushed because he thought that he was lost from God and wasn't going to be able to find his way back. He told me of the struggles he has come across and how far away he has strayed from his faith and God.

And as he told me about his life, I felt so crushed for him. He was holding on to my hands as though scared for his dear life, and tears just kept streaming down. It was difficult to withhold my crying, but eventually I had to excuse myself.

I didn't know what to do. How do you respond to someone who thinks that God has left him? All I could say was that He hasn't, and that I was sure He was grateful and joyful that this guy wants to find his way back. As it turns out, this guest (I work at a day shelter for people who are homeless) just needed someone to listen to him and to give him encouragement.

All he needed to hear was hope coming from somewhere, since he couldn't find it in himself. This was one of the hardest things I have come across at Nativity House but I'm grateful for the opportunity to help someone, even for a little bit. It was like witnessing someone strip himself to the core so that the real self could come out.

He has come back several times, and every time I see him he comes up to me and thanks me. I know I'm not always the most modest person, but when he does I'm honestly at a loss for words. All I can do is offer my prayers, which he accepts wholeheartedly. He was so lost but is now found. And I'm truly happy to be a part of his discovery and growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment